turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Anonymous
Not applicable

If I am still in the process of withdrawing my retirement money from 2017 and I do not have the 1099 form, do I still need to file them?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
HelenaC

If I am still in the process of withdrawing my retirement money from 2017 and I do not have the 1099 form, do I still need to file them?

If you withdrew your retirement money in 2017, you will get a Form 1099-R and you MUST enter it on your income tax return. The IRS matches the 1099-R forms they receive versus your income tax return. If you don't show it on your income tax return, you will get a letter, generally with taxes you owe and penalties/interest.

You may be able to get your 1099-R online. Otherwise, contact the bank/employer/financial institution to see where your 1099-R is. 

If you withdrew the money in 2018, you do not report that on your 2017 income tax return. You will report it on your 2018 income tax return.

R elated information:

View solution in original post

1 Reply
HelenaC

If you withdrew your retirement money in 2017, you will get a Form 1099-R and you MUST enter it on your income tax return. The IRS matches the 1099-R forms they receive versus your income tax return. If you don't show it on your income tax return, you will get a letter, generally with taxes you owe and penalties/interest.

You may be able to get your 1099-R online. Otherwise, contact the bank/employer/financial institution to see where your 1099-R is. 

If you withdrew the money in 2018, you do not report that on your 2017 income tax return. You will report it on your 2018 income tax return.

R elated information:

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies