turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

dud622

I withdrew the RMD from my IRA in a timely manner in 2018. Turbotax indicates I owe the 50% penalty for not withdrawing (Form 5329 Part 9). What's going on?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
dmertz
Level 15

I withdrew the RMD from my IRA in a timely manner in 2018. Turbotax indicates I owe the 50% penalty for not withdrawing (Form 5329 Part 9). What's going on?

TurboTax only generates a 50% excess accumulation penalty if after clicking the Continue button on the Your 1099-R Entries page that you were required to make a RMD of some amount by you received none of it and you are not claiming a waiver of the penalty.  Either revisit that section and modify your answers to indicate that you received all of your RMD in 2018 or delete the Form 5329.  To delete a form in online TurboTax, go to Tax Tools -> Tools -> Delete a form, then click the delete button on the line for Form 5329.

If you are married filing jointly, make sure that all Forms 1099-R are allocated to the correct spouse.

View solution in original post

1 Reply
dmertz
Level 15

TurboTax only generates a 50% excess accumulation penalty if after clicking the Continue button on the Your 1099-R Entries page that you were required to make a RMD of some amount by you received none of it and you are not claiming a waiver of the penalty.  Either revisit that section and modify your answers to indicate that you received all of your RMD in 2018 or delete the Form 5329.  To delete a form in online TurboTax, go to Tax Tools -> Tools -> Delete a form, then click the delete button on the line for Form 5329.

If you are married filing jointly, make sure that all Forms 1099-R are allocated to the correct spouse.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies