turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

I withdrew from my 401k due to covid and am being taxed the 10% penalty it looks like.

There is a section that states "situations may lower your tax bill" and "Other reason" is an option. Can I put my withdrawn amount in there?
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

2 Replies

I withdrew from my 401k due to covid and am being taxed the 10% penalty it looks like.

The IRS has not yet released the form to handle this yet, and has not given a date when they will do so. Please check back later this month.

DavidD66
Expert Alumni

Withdrawals from a IRA because you were affected by COVID-19 are not subject to the 10% early withdrawal penalty.  Additionally, the tax on the distribution can be paid over a three year period. You’ll have that time to pay back the funds you withdrew, without the amount impacting that year’s cap on contributions, and if you pay back the amount within that time, you’ll be able to claim a refund on those taxes.  

In order to waive the penalty and elect to the option to pay the tax over three years, you will have to complete Form 8915-E, which has not been released by the IRS yet.  If you would like to review a draft copy of the form, click the following link:  Draft, Form 8915-E.  Once the IRS finalizes and releases the form, TurboTax will make it available.  Until then, you'll have to wait to finalize your and file your tax returns.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies