turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

FF3

I withdrew 10k from my Roth IRA to buy my first home, do I need to file IRS Form 8606-T?

Turbotax is telling me to wait for Form 8606-T, so I can't file my taxes yet. I already completed everything else for federal and state filing, so the only holdup is waiting for this one form, which seems to have been delayed twice already. I have contributed over 10k to my Roth IRA over several years, so no earnings withdrawn. This is my first withdrawal, no conversions from other accounts or traditional IRAs, only a Roth IRA. I opened my first Roth IRA account over five years ago, but subsequently closed it to consolidate the funds into one brokerage with lower fees. As far as I can tell, the 10k withdrawal from a Roth IRA, contributions only, would be a qualified distribution, so no tax due. Do I still need to file 8606?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
Phillip1

I withdrew 10k from my Roth IRA to buy my first home, do I need to file IRS Form 8606-T?

Yes, you need to file Form 8606. 

This form is used to report the taxable portion of a non-qualified Roth IRA withdrawal. Non-qualified Roth IRA withdrawals are withdrawals before you are the age of 59.5. Since your withdrawal was 10k for a first-time home purchase, the withdrawal will not be taxable. 

However, Form 8606 is needed so that IRS allows you take the withdrawal tax free. 

View solution in original post

1 Reply
Phillip1

Yes, you need to file Form 8606. 

This form is used to report the taxable portion of a non-qualified Roth IRA withdrawal. Non-qualified Roth IRA withdrawals are withdrawals before you are the age of 59.5. Since your withdrawal was 10k for a first-time home purchase, the withdrawal will not be taxable. 

However, Form 8606 is needed so that IRS allows you take the withdrawal tax free. 

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies