Event: Ask the Experts about your refund > RSVP NOW!

I will get $2336/month pension starting soon. What will this actually be, after taxes, when I am in the 25% tax bracket?

I need to know exactly how much the net amount this monthly payment will be. Are the taxes taken out based on my tax bracket or is it figured out by the company, which is Mayo Clinic? I don't know how to figure out what the actual final monthly amount will end up being. Thanks so much.
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

That is really an impossible question to answer.  First, do you have significant other income that would vault you into a marginal tax bracket of 25%?   The gross pension is only about $28k per year.

The amount of withholding will be determined by how much you want the payor (Mayo?) to withhold.  I believe the default amount is 20%.  But if you submit a W-4P to the pension payor, you should be able to control the amount of withholding.

Another consideration in determining the withholding, is the gross amount fully taxable?  Will a portion of it be a return of your non-deductible contributions?

Are you having state taxes withheld?

The payor should provide you with a detailed statement of the gross amount, less different withholdings, and the net monthly check.

**Disclaimer: Effort has been made to offer correct information; but due to the discussion forum limitations, the poster disclaims any legal responsibility for the accuracy of the poster's response**