turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

rue212121

I was told my employer took to much social security tax out of my earnings for 2017 when I was doing the turbo tax. Does my employer reimburse me this money?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

6 Replies

I was told my employer took to much social security tax out of my earnings for 2017 when I was doing the turbo tax. Does my employer reimburse me this money?

What is the amount shown in box 3 and in box 4 of the W-2 you entered into the TurboTax program?  Usually this is a user error and the employer did Not take to much SS taxes.

AnnetteB
Intuit Alumni

If your situation was due to having multiple employers during the year, the excess amount is automatically included on line 71 of Form 1040. 

In order to preview your Form 1040 to see line 71, use the following steps while you are working in your tax return:

• In the navigation area on the left side of your screen, click Tax Tools to expand your choices

• Click Tools, which will open the Tool Center

• Click View Tax Summary under “Other Helpful Links…

• Click Preview My 1040

See the information below for more details if your situation was due to a single employer withholding too much social security.

https://ttlc.intuit.com/replies/3300261

Yes, but can a person recoup that excess SS tax? I just switched companies (FEINs) but my employer is still the same. My SS tax started over when I changed companies and I had hit the max prior to that change?

If you have 2 W2 with different employer EIN you will get the excess SS back on your return.

If you had more than one employer (or diff EIN) and  the total of box 4 (only box 4 not box 6) on all your 2018 W2s  for Social Security is more than $7,960.80 you get the excess back on your tax return.  And it is for each spouse separately, not combined.  Check 1040 Schedule 5 line 72 for it.  Then Schedule 5 goes to 1040 line 17.

Thank you. Sigh of relief.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies