Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Event: Ask the Experts about your refund > RSVP NOW!
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

ldeglin

I was over on income but had no 401k except for 1-2 days in Jan. nothing the rest of the year. TurboTax didn't ask if I had a 401k in 2019; an option for married. Why?

Might the 1-2 days of 401k thrown it? How would the sw know? Or is the sw missing something?

Am trying to do a deductible IRA contribution.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

3 Replies
dmertz
Level 15

I was over on income but had no 401k except for 1-2 days in Jan. nothing the rest of the year. TurboTax didn't ask if I had a 401k in 2019; an option for married. Why?

Being covered means any time during the year.  If your W-2 has box 13 Retirement plan marked, in indicates that you were covered.

The year for which you are covered can also be non-obvious if the plan uses a fiscal year instead of a calendar year.  For example, if the plan has a fiscal year that ended on June 30, 2019, any coverage you had after June 30, 2018 and before July 1, 2019 would make you covered for 2019.

ldeglin

Thanks much for your reply.

I did not enter any information into TurboTax. 

So how did the software consider the 1-2 days of 401K?

dmertz
Level 15

Presumably your W-2 (or your spouse's W-2 if married filing jointly) has box 13's Retirement plan box marked to indicate that you were covered by a workplace retirement plan.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies