brucesteg

I want to make sure my over payment of Social Security tax is calculated in my payment. When I initially put in $ the program told me call my employer and get a new W-2?

Anita01

If overpayment of Social security tax occurs on a single W-2, then you do need to collect from the employer.  The excess cannot be on your return.  If the excess Social security is caused because you switched jobs and therefore have two  W2s on the return from two different employers, then it will appear on the return as part of your refund.  These are IRS regulations and cannot be done any differently in any tax return. 

Anita01

jolinesikora

What if it's the same employer, but 2 different W2's? We moved states, so the company "fired" my husband and rehired him as a CO resident.  Do we still get the refund from the employer?