Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Event: Ask the Experts about your refund > RSVP NOW!
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

jgarriso

I want to contribute to an existing IRA. I retired 7/1/17 and am no longer contributing via employer plan. Can I contribute to IRA with post tax dollars?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
DanO

I want to contribute to an existing IRA. I retired 7/1/17 and am no longer contributing via employer plan. Can I contribute to IRA with post tax dollars?

Depends, now that you are retired do you still have earned income to make contributions and the type of IRA that you have.

If you have earned income, then you would be able to contribute up to the contribution limit of the plan or your eligible compensation amount.

After tax contributions can be made to a traditional IRA or Roth IRA.

Some 401(k) plans allow after tax dollars contributions. You would need to contact the plan administrator to check if that is allowable.

View solution in original post

1 Reply
DanO

Depends, now that you are retired do you still have earned income to make contributions and the type of IRA that you have.

If you have earned income, then you would be able to contribute up to the contribution limit of the plan or your eligible compensation amount.

After tax contributions can be made to a traditional IRA or Roth IRA.

Some 401(k) plans allow after tax dollars contributions. You would need to contact the plan administrator to check if that is allowable.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies