Solved: I've got a 1099-B from Square for selling Bitcoin....

Why sign in to the Community?

• Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
or and start working on your taxes
Announcements
TurboTax has you covered during Covid. Get the latest second stimulus info here.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I've got a 1099-B from Square for selling Bitcoin. Whats the appropriate investment type when documenting the sale in TurboTax? Doesn't seem to be one.

It would seem that stocks, bonds, mutual funds, etc. are options, but not anything else.
1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
Employee Tax Expert

I've got a 1099-B from Square for selling Bitcoin. Whats the appropriate investment type when documenting the sale in TurboTax? Doesn't seem to be one.

You are correct.  You should post cryptocurrency transactions similar to stocks.

1. Income & Expenses
  1. Scroll to Stocks, Mutual Funds, Bonds, Other
  2. Answer Yes to Did you sell stocks, mutual funds, bonds, or other investments in 2020?
  3. On the OK, what type of investments did you sell? screen, select Stock, Bonds, Mutual Funds. Then select Continue.
  4. From here, you can import or manually enter your 1099-B.

Note: You'll need TurboTax Premier, TurboTax Live Premier, or TurboTax Self-Employed, TurboTax Live Self-Employed, to add any 1099-B forms.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

View solution in original post

3 Replies
Employee Tax Expert

You are correct.  You should post cryptocurrency transactions similar to stocks.

1. Income & Expenses
  1. Scroll to Stocks, Mutual Funds, Bonds, Other
  2. Answer Yes to Did you sell stocks, mutual funds, bonds, or other investments in 2020?
  3. On the OK, what type of investments did you sell? screen, select Stock, Bonds, Mutual Funds. Then select Continue.
  4. From here, you can import or manually enter your 1099-B.

Note: You'll need TurboTax Premier, TurboTax Live Premier, or TurboTax Self-Employed, TurboTax Live Self-Employed, to add any 1099-B forms.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

View solution in original post

I also have a 1099-B from Square Inc. for selling bitcoin my problem is there is a separate category for entering cryptocurrency transactions so if I enter my 1099-B in the stocks section and then enter it again in cryptocurrency then I am getting taxed twice for the same capital gain. The cryptocurrency section isnt for 1099-B thats in the stocks section, very confusing.

Level 15

The crypto section is for filers who will not get a 1099-B.

Don't enter your transactions twice.

Dynamic Ads
v
Privacy Settings