turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

caryfong

I turned 72 in Sept. 2021. I did not withdrawal my RMD Required Minimum Distribution from my IRA. How to I report this and pay the penalty on Turbo Tax?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Reply
PattiF
Expert Alumni

I turned 72 in Sept. 2021. I did not withdrawal my RMD Required Minimum Distribution from my IRA. How to I report this and pay the penalty on Turbo Tax?

This late RMD that you will take in 2022 will be reportable on your 2022 tax return.  Only the request for waiver of the excess-accumulation penalty (Form 5329 Part IX and explanation) will be in your 2021 tax return.  Since you are requesting a waiver of the penalty, you are not to pay the penalty with your 2021 tax return.

Please read this Turbo Tax article written by Turbo Tax Expert Coleen3. In this article, she suggests downloading a copy of a 5329 here to request a waiver of the penalty. Once you have the form, fill it out,  print and mail it with your 2021 return.  There is no guarantee the waiver will be granted but it's worth a try.

According to the 5329 instructions

"The IRS can waive part or all of this tax if you can show that any shortfall in the amount of distributions was due to reasonable error and you are taking reasonable steps to remedy the shortfall. If you believe you qualify for this relief, attach a statement of explanation and file Form 5329 as follows. 

1. Complete lines 52 and 53 as instructed.

2. Enter “RC” and the amount you want to be waived in parentheses on the dotted line next to line 54. Subtract this amount from the total shortfall you figured without regard to the waiver, and enter the result on line 54. 

3. Complete line 55 as instructed. You must pay any tax due that is reported on line 55 but first,   the IRS will review the information you provide and decide whether to grant your request for a waiver. If your request is not granted, the IRS will notify you regarding any additional tax you may owe on the shortfall. 

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies