I took the a death benefit payout on his IRA and rolled the money over into an new IRA in my name. How do I show that I rolled that taxable distribution into a new IRA?

Are you the spouse of the decedent?  Non-spouse beneficiaries are not permitted to roll an inherited IRA over to their own IRA.

You can indicate that you rolled over the IRA distribution, using these steps:

1. A few screens after the 1099-R input screen, you should see a screen, What Did You Do With The Money From [IRA institution]?  
  2. Mark the radio button next to I moved the money to another retirement account (or returned it so the same retirement account.
  3. Below the grey line, click the radio button next to:  Rolled over all of this money to another traditional IRA...
  4. Click Continue.
  5. You'll get a confirmation screen that the distribution is not taxable.