juliann59p

I took a total distribution from my 401k when I lost my job. I did a partial indirect rollover to a traditional IRA within 60 days. How do I report the indirect rollover?

The 1099-r shows a total distribution.

DanaB

Please follow the instructions below:

1. Login to your TurboTax Account 
  2. Click "Take Me To My Return"
  3. Click "Federal" from the left side of your screen
  4. Scroll down and click "Start or Edit/Add" next to "IRA, 401(k), Pension Plan Withdrawals (1099-R)
  5. Answer "Yes" to the question "Did You Have Any of These Types of Income?"
  6. Click "I'll Type it Myself"
  7. Choose "Form 1099-R, Withdrawal of Money from 401(k) Retirement Plans, Pensions, IRAs, etc."
  8. Click "Continue" and enter the information from your 1099-R
  9. Answer questions until you get to “What Did You Do With The Money” and choose “I moved it to another retirement account (or returned it into the same account)
  10. Then choose “I did a combination of rolling over, converting or cashing out the money.”
  11. Enter the amount in the field next to “Amount rolled over to another (or back to the same) retirement account

Please be aware that the whole distribution will show as income on the summary screen which shows gross income, not taxable income. To verify that the entry is correct please look at form 1040 line 4b (taxable amount), only the amount that was not rolled over will show here. 

DanaB

Please follow the instructions below:

1. Login to your TurboTax Account 
  2. Click "Take Me To My Return"
  6. Click "I'll Type it Myself"

juliann59p

Thank you so much, that worked perfectly!