turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

carey606

I took a Roth IRA Distribution and the 1099-R form has a T distribution code. I am age 71 & started Roth in 2001. Why is MA state return is being hit with a 10% penalty?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

3 Replies
JohnB5677
Expert Alumni

I took a Roth IRA Distribution and the 1099-R form has a T distribution code. I am age 71 & started Roth in 2001. Why is MA state return is being hit with a 10% penalty?

The Code T on your 1099-R means that the Broker did not know if your ROTH IRA was at least 5 years old.  It does not show up as taxable on the Federal.  Go through the questions in Massachusetts and find the five year limitation.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
carey606

JohnB5677, I spoke with MA DOR and was told since this is a Roth Distribution and hence not taxable the 1099-R Form does not need to be included in my MA filing. How do I get Turbo Tax to delete this 1099-R from my MA filing? Also, does it need to be included on my Federal 1040 Filing since it is not taxable? Thank you.

JohnB5677
Expert Alumni

You should post the 1099-R exactly as it is.  To resolve the 5 year issue you will click [CONTINUE] on the 1099-R entries page and answer YES when it asks if you contributed to the ROTH before 2015.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies