turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

I took a lump sum distribution and it showed up on my 1099-form.I am prompted to fill out form tc-40a. I try to enter the lump sum amount, and it tells me it should be 0

Turbo tax is prompting me to fill out the amount for my lump sum on the tc-40 form.  Then, when I do, I am prompted that the amount should be 0.  Which is it.  Both seem to be an error with Turbotax.  I am told I can't efile unless it is corrected.
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Reply
kracoer

I took a lump sum distribution and it showed up on my 1099-form.I am prompted to fill out form tc-40a. I try to enter the lump sum amount, and it tells me it should be 0

Lonbenjamin - If I remember correctly, that form is for adjustments on Utah state tax returns. It is an add-back of lump sum distributions to the federal AGI when a retirement 1099R amount is excluded from regular income because of favorable tax rates on IRS Form 4972. You would add the excluded portion back via TC-40A; if you did not have an exclusion (e.g. did not qualify for lump sum favorable treatment due to age, status, other limits), the program may be suggesting 0-zero as acceptable entry since there was no Form 4972 (or no excludible part of 4972 applies). Every state treats lump sum distributions uniquely, so may need to double-check type codes, overrides, etc on your federal 1099R screens. Good Luck!

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies