turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

catbutt6-

I thought the stimulus payments were not taxable but when I remove them (zero out) it changes my return dramatically. Are stimulus payments taxable?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

4 Replies
ErnieS0
Expert Alumni

I thought the stimulus payments were not taxable but when I remove them (zero out) it changes my return dramatically. Are stimulus payments taxable?

No. The stimulus payments are not taxable.

Your refund may have dropped because the payments were originally added to your refund because you said you did not receive any payments. After you zeroed them out to show you received all your stimulus then TurboTax took those payment off your tax return.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
RKL53

I had the same issue: my refund dropped significantly after I confirmed receiving both 2020 stimulus payments.  You mentioned "zeroing out" the payments may have caused the drop for another questioner but I've only confirmed the amounts TT showed I was eligible for and the refund dropped 20%.

The stimulus payments EIP1 and EIP2

are big money - credits -  so you should expect big changes if you change those numbers.

I only confirmed the amounts listed by TurboTax - never entered any amount into any field in Deductions & Credits

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies