turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Per 2210 instructions: a waiver for underpayment of taxes will be granted if the taxpayer retired in 2018 and can provide documentation. What documentation is needed?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

Per 2210 instructions: a waiver for underpayment of taxes will be granted if the taxpayer retired in 2018 and can provide documentation. What documentation is needed?

I think you are misunderstanding the waiver, since it is not automatically granted. From the instructions:

"In 2017 or 2018, you retired after reaching age 62 or became disabled, and your underpayment was due to reasonable cause (and not willful neglect)".  In other words, the IRS decides on a case-by-case basis.

Nonetheless, I would suggest that you attach a statement from your employer that indicates that you retired, and also has the date of your retirement if you seek to request the waiver.  I would also indicate what the reasonable cause is.

View solution in original post

2 Replies

I think you are misunderstanding the waiver, since it is not automatically granted. From the instructions:

"In 2017 or 2018, you retired after reaching age 62 or became disabled, and your underpayment was due to reasonable cause (and not willful neglect)".  In other words, the IRS decides on a case-by-case basis.

Nonetheless, I would suggest that you attach a statement from your employer that indicates that you retired, and also has the date of your retirement if you seek to request the waiver.  I would also indicate what the reasonable cause is.

Thanks.  I do understand the IRS requires reasonable cause to waive the penalty.  In my case I did a significantly large Roth conversion that led to the underestimated taxes and penalty.  Hope that wills satisfy IRS requirements
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies