turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

I started a nondeductible IRA in 1999. I just cashed it out in 2018. Can I deduct the cost basis of the distribution since all the contributions were made after taxes.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
dmertz
Level 15

I started a nondeductible IRA in 1999. I just cashed it out in 2018. Can I deduct the cost basis of the distribution since all the contributions were made after taxes.

All of your traditional IRAs are treated as a single account for the purpose of determining the taxable amount of distributions, so particular accounts are not deductible or nondeductible.  It's your contributions that are either deductible or nondeductible and apply to your traditional IRAs in aggregate.

When you made the nondeductible contribution in 1999, you were required to file 1999 Form 8606 to report the nondeductible contribution.  After entering the 2018 Form 1099-R into 2018 TurboTax, click the Continue button on the Your 1099-R Entries page and answer the additional questions, particularly entering your 2018 year-end balance in traditional IRAs (that would be zero if the traditional IRA you cashed out was your only traditional IRA), that you made nondeductible contributions, then enter the amount from line 12 of your 1999 Form 8606as your basis in nondeductible traditional IRA contributions for years prior to 2018.  TurboTax will prepare Form 8606 Part 1 to calculate the taxable and nontaxable amounts of the 2018 distribution.

View solution in original post

1 Reply
dmertz
Level 15

All of your traditional IRAs are treated as a single account for the purpose of determining the taxable amount of distributions, so particular accounts are not deductible or nondeductible.  It's your contributions that are either deductible or nondeductible and apply to your traditional IRAs in aggregate.

When you made the nondeductible contribution in 1999, you were required to file 1999 Form 8606 to report the nondeductible contribution.  After entering the 2018 Form 1099-R into 2018 TurboTax, click the Continue button on the Your 1099-R Entries page and answer the additional questions, particularly entering your 2018 year-end balance in traditional IRAs (that would be zero if the traditional IRA you cashed out was your only traditional IRA), that you made nondeductible contributions, then enter the amount from line 12 of your 1999 Form 8606as your basis in nondeductible traditional IRA contributions for years prior to 2018.  TurboTax will prepare Form 8606 Part 1 to calculate the taxable and nontaxable amounts of the 2018 distribution.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies