• Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
or and start working on your taxes
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Jimhpadgett

I sold 1 stock in my Traditional IRA in 2016 and I have not taken any distributions from the IRA. It is classified as a "Short-term gain. Am I correct that since I did not receive a 1099-B that this is not a reportable event and would only be taxed when I

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
macuser_22
Level 15

I sold 1 stock in my Traditional IRA in 2016 and I have not taken any distributions from the IRA. It is classified as a "Short-term gain. Am I correct that since I did not receive a 1099-B that this is not a reportable event and would only be taxed when I

Gains and losses within a IRA and not reported anywhere.    That is an advantage of a IRA - investments can grow tax free.   The only time a IRA gets reported is when a new contribution or distribution is done.

**Disclaimer: This post is for discussion purposes only and is NOT tax advice. The author takes no responsibility for the accuracy of any information in this post.**

View solution in original post

2 Replies
macuser_22
Level 15

Gains and losses within a IRA and not reported anywhere.    That is an advantage of a IRA - investments can grow tax free.   The only time a IRA gets reported is when a new contribution or distribution is done.

**Disclaimer: This post is for discussion purposes only and is NOT tax advice. The author takes no responsibility for the accuracy of any information in this post.**
dmertz
Level 15

Also, investments in an IRA are not subject to capital gains treatment.  The holding period of the investment within the IRA is irrelevant.
Dynamic AdsDynamic Ads
Privacy Settings
v