Jimhpadgett

I sold 1 stock in my Traditional IRA in 2016 and I have not taken any distributions from the IRA. It is classified as a "Short-term gain. Am I correct that since I did not receive a 1099-B that this is not a reportable event and would only be taxed when I

macuser_22

Gains and losses within a IRA and not reported anywhere.    That is an advantage of a IRA - investments can grow tax free.   The only time a IRA gets reported is when a new contribution or distribution is done.

macuser_22

dmertz

Also, investments in an IRA are not subject to capital gains treatment.  The holding period of the investment within the IRA is irrelevant.