turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

bbliston1
Returning Member

I said that I would contribute $14,000 to an IRA because I would get a bigger return for 2019. Its July 15 and I havent done it yet . What do i need to do today?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

3 Replies

I said that I would contribute $14,000 to an IRA because I would get a bigger return for 2019. Its July 15 and I havent done it yet . What do i need to do today?

A contribution  for 2019 must be completed and posted by July 15.   Since most financial institutions take 2-3 business days to post a new contribution, it is doubtful that it can be done at this late date.   If you do, be sure to ask the financial institution what tax year they can post it to.

You cannot contribute $14,000 to a 2019 IRA.

The maximum IRA contributions for 2019 is $6,000, or $7,000 if you’re age 50 or older by the end of the year; or your taxable compensation for the year which ever is less.

(Taxable compensation is generally wages that you worked for - W-2 or net self-employed income minus the deducible part of the SE tax, but can include commissions, certain alimony and separate maintenance, and nontaxable combat pay ).

See IRS Pub 590A "What is compensation" for details:
https://www.irs.gov/publications/p590a#en_US_2018_publink1000230355

See this IRS link for Traditional IRA deduction limits when covered by a retirement plan at work.

https://www.irs.gov/Retirement-Plans/IRA-Deduction-Limits

**Disclaimer: This post is for discussion purposes only and is NOT tax advice. The author takes no responsibility for the accuracy of any information in this post.**
dmertz
Level 15

Perhaps this is two IRA contributions, $7,000 to this individual's IRA and $7,000 to this individual's spouse's IRA.

bbliston1
Returning Member

Yes it is two as you stated. Thank you

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies