• Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
or and start working on your taxes
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
rvins004

I rolled over some 401K accounts to an IRA account but nothing is taxable. Does this count as distributions? Do I need to report this?

I only received one 1099-R form (taxable income $0.00)
1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
DavidD66
Employee Tax Expert

I rolled over some 401K accounts to an IRA account but nothing is taxable. Does this count as distributions? Do I need to report this?

A rollover is not a taxable event, but you need to report it on your tax return by entering the Form 1099-R.  If asked, be sure to answer the question ""What Did You Do With The Money From [Retirement Plan]?" by indicating you "rolled over all of this money to an IRA or other retirement account (or returned it to the same account)."

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

View solution in original post

2 Replies
macuser_22
Level 15

Yes it must be reported as a rollover.

Just enter the 1099-R and answer the followup questions.

**Disclaimer: This post is for discussion purposes only and is NOT tax advice. The author takes no responsibility for the accuracy of any information in this post.**
DavidD66
Employee Tax Expert

A rollover is not a taxable event, but you need to report it on your tax return by entering the Form 1099-R.  If asked, be sure to answer the question ""What Did You Do With The Money From [Retirement Plan]?" by indicating you "rolled over all of this money to an IRA or other retirement account (or returned it to the same account)."

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

View solution in original post

Dynamic AdsDynamic Ads
v
Privacy Settings