Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Event: Ask the Experts about your refund > RSVP NOW!
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

winorcha

I rolled over from one IRA annuity to another IRA annuity. Then I made an additional non ded. pmt to the 2nd Annuity. Can I claim the non ded. contrib. as Total basis?

I have no questions about the rollover portion of the statement.  I only need to know if the amount I added to the new IRA Annuity can be claimed as the total basis for the IRA section in Turbo Tax.  I had no previous non deductible IRA contributions.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
ChristinaS
Expert Alumni

I rolled over from one IRA annuity to another IRA annuity. Then I made an additional non ded. pmt to the 2nd Annuity. Can I claim the non ded. contrib. as Total basis?

Yes- and you must report it.

You do report nondeductible IRA contributions on your tax return. You cannot just claim them as part of basis when you take the money out. You have to establish the basis (via Form 8606) now.

IRA contributions are reported under:

-Federal Taxes, Deductions and Credits

-Retirement and Investments

-Traditional and Roth IRA Contributions

-Traditional IRA

-With the question, "Any Nondeductible Contributions to Your IRA?"- answer No, as its not asking about this contribution

-You will be given the opportunity to make it nondeductible as you go along in these screens.

View solution in original post

1 Reply
ChristinaS
Expert Alumni

Yes- and you must report it.

You do report nondeductible IRA contributions on your tax return. You cannot just claim them as part of basis when you take the money out. You have to establish the basis (via Form 8606) now.

IRA contributions are reported under:

-Federal Taxes, Deductions and Credits

-Retirement and Investments

-Traditional and Roth IRA Contributions

-Traditional IRA

-With the question, "Any Nondeductible Contributions to Your IRA?"- answer No, as its not asking about this contribution

-You will be given the opportunity to make it nondeductible as you go along in these screens.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies