turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

m35q707f

I rolled 100% of the money from a closed work retirement acct to a personal retirement acct. Why did filing my 1099-R cause me to lose almost $100 of my refund?

I was notified that I did not work long enough at my previous job, so they were closing my retirement acct.  I would not lose the money, but it would no longer accrue interest.  When I rolled the company acct over to my personal retirement acct, I did not receive any money from it - it went straight from one account to the other.
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

2 Replies

I rolled 100% of the money from a closed work retirement acct to a personal retirement acct. Why did filing my 1099-R cause me to lose almost $100 of my refund?

"I did not receive any money from it - it went straight from one account to the other."

Your distribution code should be "G" and then  there is no tax impact.

dmertz
Level 15

... unless the code G From 1099-R has a nonzero taxable amount in box 2a indicating that some or all of the rollover was to a Roth account.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies