Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Ask the Experts All About the Refund! >> Event happening NOW!!!!
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

mark94

I retired at age 56 (I'm now 59) and get pension annuity payments that are supposed to be covered by the rule of 72t. How do I account for this in turbotax?

I retired at age 56 and am now 59.  My pension annuity payments are supposed to be guided by rule 72t.  However, I end up owing taxes on my federal return.  Looking at a previous FAQ about this (from about 4 years ago), it mentions code 2 or 7 from 1099R will automatically trigger TurboTax to treat the payments as 72t, however my 1099R has code 1.  The previous FAQ said there is another area of Turbo tax where I can input information to trigger the 72t.  Does anyone know how to do this?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

3 Replies

I retired at age 56 (I'm now 59) and get pension annuity payments that are supposed to be covered by the rule of 72t. How do I account for this in turbotax?

This, according to dmertz, who's a retirement plan guru:

Enter the Form 1099-R exactly as received under Wages & Income (or Personal Income) -> Retirement Plans and Social Security -> IRA, 401(k), Pension Plan Withdrawals (1099-R), then answer the follow-up questions.

If the code on the Form 1099-R is code 2 or 7, TurboTax will automatically treat the distribution as not subject to an early-distribution penalty.  Otherwise, later when TurboTax prompts you enter amounts that are exempt from the early-distribution penalty, enter the amount of the distribution as the amount received as Equal Periodic Payments.

mark94

The problem I'm running into is that TurboTax is not asking me for amounts that are exempt.  Am I missing something?  Where does this question come up?

after you finish inputting your 1099-R, hit Continue till you're at Your 1099-R Entries.  Then Continue till you see that question.
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies