turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

I repaid a retention bonus (> $3000) in 2017 that was included as income in 2015. Am I eligible to claim a deduction or credit or neither?

The cash bonus had a stipulation that I remain with the company for 2 years.  I ended up leaving before the 2 year period was up, so I paid it back in 2017 (gross amount).  I've been reading about this in Pub 525, and my questions are really around eligibility, not the mechanics of how to claim a deduction or credit.

1. Pub 525 says to be eligible for a deduction or credit, the repayment must qualify as business/trade expense/loss, or a for-profit transaction.  Is that the case here?  I suppose I could consider my prior employment with the company as my "trade", and the repayment of the bonus as an "expense"...

2. The tax credit option is available if the income was included under a claim of right, which implies an "unrestricted right" to the income.  I'm not sure how to interpret this.  The bonus was included as wages on my W-2 for 2015, and taxes were deducted.  I could have spent the net amount however I wanted.  But there was the condition of repayment if I didn't stay for the full 2 years, which sounds like a restriction.  So did this income qualify as "claim of right"?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
ee-ea
Level 15

I repaid a retention bonus (> $3000) in 2017 that was included as income in 2015. Am I eligible to claim a deduction or credit or neither?

1. Being an employee is your business.

2. This income does qualify as "claim of right"

View solution in original post

1 Reply
ee-ea
Level 15

1. Being an employee is your business.

2. This income does qualify as "claim of right"

Use your Intuit Account to sign in to TurboTax.
By selecting Sign in, you agree to our Terms and acknowledge our Privacy Statement.
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies