turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

ynpandey

I removed excess Roth IRA contribution after filing my 2021 Federal Tax Return. Can I file an amendment before October 15, 2022, without the Form 1099-R?

I made a contribution to Roth IRA toward tax year 2021, but my adjusted gross income was too high for making a Roth IRA contribution for the year. I figured it out after filing my 2021 Federal Tax return. I removed excess contribution and earnings after the 2021 Federal Tax return was filed. Now, I am reading that I should file an amendment before Tax filing extension deadline of October 15, 2022. However, Fidelity will not send me a form 1099-R before early 2023. However, they did send me a letter mentioning the original contribution, earnings, and total amount withdrawn. Can I use this information to amend my 2021 Federal Tax Return before October 15, 2021? Also, what will I need to do once I receive the form 1099-R during early 2023?
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Reply

I removed excess Roth IRA contribution after filing my 2021 Federal Tax Return. Can I file an amendment before October 15, 2022, without the Form 1099-R?

It is only the earnings that are taxable, if a positive amount.

If you amend now to add those earnings, then there is nothing to be done next year.

@ynpandey 

If you wait, TurboTax next year will tell you to amend your 2021 return.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies