turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

HY

I recharacterized $2700 from Roth to T-IRA in2015. Total Roth contribution was $22000 before 2018. Should I use $19300 as Net Regular RothIRA Contribution prior to 2018?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
dmertz
Level 15

I recharacterized $2700 from Roth to T-IRA in2015. Total Roth contribution was $22000 before 2018. Should I use $19300 as Net Regular RothIRA Contribution prior to 2018?

The $2,700 recharacterized from Roth to TIRA is not part of your Roth contribution basis.  The recharacterized amount is treated as having been originally contributed to the TIRA.

You question is confusing because the recharacterized amount ended up not being part of your Roth IRA contribution basis in the first place.  It's not clear whether you've included the $2,700 in the starting figure to begin with.  (It should not have been.)  Net contributions to the Roth IRA would be the sum of your Roth IRA contributions that remained Roth IRA contributions prior to 2018 (so, not including the $2,700 in question) minus any regular distributions from the Roth IRA prior to 2018.

View solution in original post

2 Replies
dmertz
Level 15

The $2,700 recharacterized from Roth to TIRA is not part of your Roth contribution basis.  The recharacterized amount is treated as having been originally contributed to the TIRA.

You question is confusing because the recharacterized amount ended up not being part of your Roth IRA contribution basis in the first place.  It's not clear whether you've included the $2,700 in the starting figure to begin with.  (It should not have been.)  Net contributions to the Roth IRA would be the sum of your Roth IRA contributions that remained Roth IRA contributions prior to 2018 (so, not including the $2,700 in question) minus any regular distributions from the Roth IRA prior to 2018.

HY

dmertz, Thank you so much!  This year is my first time facing such question.  Thanks for clarifying that any "recharacterized" portion (from Roth IRA to Traditional IRA) should be treated as ORIGINAL contribution to T-IRA.  My initial confusing point (to myself) was whether the "recharacterization" process is considered as "withdrew" or not.  Now, I got it.  Thank you!
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies