Solved: I received retirement income from the state of MA and I live in NV. Do I need to file a MA tax report

Why sign in to the Community?

• Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
or and start working on your taxes
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
rhj45

I received retirement income from the state of MA and I live in NV. Do I need to file a MA tax report

I don't know what else there is I live in NV and received a 1099-R from MA retirement fund

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
ToddL

I received retirement income from the state of MA and I live in NV. Do I need to file a MA tax report

You are not required to file a MA tax return for your MA-originated retirement income. 

Effective for retirement income received after December 31, 1995, federal law prohibits any state from taxing certain retirement income (mainly pension income) unless you are resident of, or domiciled in, that state.

For example, if you receive a pension from your former MA employer and you now reside in NV, MA may not tax your retirement income. Because you are now a NV resident, your retirement income is taxable in NV (if NV had an income tax).

View solution in original post

1 Reply
ToddL

You are not required to file a MA tax return for your MA-originated retirement income. 

Effective for retirement income received after December 31, 1995, federal law prohibits any state from taxing certain retirement income (mainly pension income) unless you are resident of, or domiciled in, that state.

For example, if you receive a pension from your former MA employer and you now reside in NV, MA may not tax your retirement income. Because you are now a NV resident, your retirement income is taxable in NV (if NV had an income tax).

View solution in original post

Dynamic AdsDynamic Ads
v
Privacy Settings