Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Event: Ask the Experts about your refund > RSVP NOW!
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

I received a taxable IRA distribution from my fathers estate but did not get any tax forms documenting it, how do i enter the income?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

6 Replies

I received a taxable IRA distribution from my fathers estate but did not get any tax forms documenting it, how do i enter the income?

You need to get the 1099R form from the IRA plan.  Ask them for it.  Did you get the distribution directly from the IRA made out to you?  Or did it come from the Estate?  Did you get a K-1 from the estate?

It came from the estate, no k1 either.  Just a check from the bank

@dmertz can you weigh in on this?

perhaps the executor paid the taxes for you from the estate.

you have to talk to the executor to know if you owe any tax on what you got.

Thanks for your help,  it is possible, but I haven't been able to get an answer on that, they are a family member and  not sure he even knows.

For now I'm going to finish filing and put it in as other income. I can always amend it later.

Thanks again

You cannot get an IRA distribution from an estate.  If from the bank in your name then you must have been the beneficiary of the IRA.

If you were the named benificuary on the IRA itself then the distribution comes from the bank.  If this was a 2020 distribution then they will sent you the 1099-R in January 2021.   If a 2019 distribution then contact the bank for a copy of the missing 1099-R.

If the estate was the benificuary of the IRA then the check should have been issued to the estate and the 1099-R sent in the name of the estate.   The estate executor would need to file a 1041 estate tax return and distribute the estate funds to the heirs of the estate with a K-1 form that goes on the heirs tax return.

(Most IRA owners put named beneficiaries on the IRA to avoid having to go through the estate and avoid possible probate.)

**Disclaimer: This post is for discussion purposes only and is NOT tax advice. The author takes no responsibility for the accuracy of any information in this post.**
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies