I received a payment of exactly $600 for freelance work. They had me fill out a W-4, but I never received a 1099. Do I need to ask for one before completing my taxes?

Why sign in to the Community?

• Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
or and start working on your taxes
Announcements
TurboTax has you covered during Covid. Get the latest second stimulus info here.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I received a payment of exactly $600 for freelance work. They had me fill out a W-4, but I never received a 1099. Do I need to ask for one before completing my taxes?

1 Reply
Level 15

No. You report the income from your own records. The IRS considers undocumented cash income (no W-2 or 1099-MISC), for work performed, to be self employment income. Enter at "Business Income & Expenses" and TurboTax (TT) will complete Schedule C or C-EZ for you and allow you to deduct any expenses associated with this income. You'll also have to pay self employment tax (social security & medicare tax) on any profits greater than $400.

You may have to upgrade to the Self Employment version of TT. If you have no expenses to deduct, there's a chance you may be able to use TT Deluxe or Premier. Enter your income at the 1099-Misc screen (even if you didn't get a 1099-misc). You do not need the payer's ("employer's") Employer ID Number (EIN).

In TurboTax (TT), enter at:
- Federal Taxes tab

- Wages & Income

Scroll down to:

- Other Common Income

-Income from Form 1099-Misc

When asked why you got the 1099-Misc, select “Freelancer or Independent contractor”

Dynamic Ads
v
Privacy Settings