`

I received a 1099R from my deceased father.it stated a type 4 He was a town employee.. Is it taxable in the state of massachusetts

he did not have to pay state taxes in it when he was alive

It depends on where the distribution came from. If it was from his town retirement, the distribution would be excludable from Massachusetts state tax, and you would indicate that it was a qualified government retirement distribution after you enter your 1099-R in the federal section. But if it was from an IRA or other type retirement account, it would be taxable in MA.