I received a 1099-r. It is from a gross distribution from an IRA. I am the beneficiary. (my dad died 8/24/16). Is this distribution taxable?

I received a 1099-R.  The distribution is from a qualified plan (IRA).  Box 1 shows a taxable dollar amount.  Box 2 shows the same taxable dollar amount.  Box 2b shows taxable amount is not determined. 

I received a lump sum gross distribution from this IRA in the fall of 2016.  The plan was my Father's Mel Rodenbeck and he passed away in August of 2016.  I am the beneficiary.  Do I need to pay taxes on the gross distribution?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

You will enter the 1099R as follows:

To enter pension and annuity Payments (1099-R)

• Click on Federal Taxes
  • Click on Wages and Income 
  • Click on I'll choose what I work on (if shown)
  • Scroll down to Retirement Plans and Social Security
  • On IRA, 401(k), Pension Plan Withdrawals (1099-R), click the start or update button
  • Enter the 1099R exactly as you have it.  If it says "unkown" in a box, leave that box blank.  Retirement accounts do not get a stepped-up basis on death, and are taxable income to the beneficiary.