lenolono

I received a 1099 -R due to termination after my probation period. It was 13.70 do I have to claim a retirement distribution? I didn't request it.

HelenC12

Yes, you have to enter it on your income tax return, even if you didn't request it, if you're required to file a tax return. Per IRS, any amount included in your income is taxable unless it is specifically exempted by law.

Click here to enter your 1099-R in TurboTax.

You can also select Federal from the left menu and select Wages & Income at the top of the screen.

1. Scroll down to IRA, 401(k), Pension Plan Withdrawals (1099-R) and select Start/Review.
  2. You will be able to edit an existing 1099-R or Add another 1099-R. 
  3. On the Let's import your tax info screen, enter your Plan administrator or select Change how I enter my form. 
  4. On the How do you want to add your 1099-R screen, select one of the options or you can Type it in myself.
  5. Continue with the onscreen interview until complete.

HelenC12