Solved: I received a 1099-C in the mail for $12,740.00. ..we file married but separate,,can I file extension and not him?,,he MUST pay his taxes on time..help please

please3232

I received a 1099-C in the mail for $12,740.00. ..we file married but separate,,can I file extension and not him?,,he MUST pay his taxes on time..help please

AmyT

Yes, since you are filing separate returns, it will be acceptable for just one of you to file an extension.

Important note:  Filing for an extension of time to file your return does not give you additional time to pay any taxes due.  You will be assessed penalties and interest for any 2016 tax due that is not paid by April 18, 2017.

AmyT