Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Ask the Experts All About the Refund! >> Event happening NOW!!!!
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

I received $56,000.00 from a Trust, form 1099-DIV. Turbo tax is not calculating any tax due? It was listed on line 9, cash liquidation distribution.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

3 Replies

I received $56,000.00 from a Trust, form 1099-DIV. Turbo tax is not calculating any tax due? It was listed on line 9, cash liquidation distribution.

"Turbo tax is not calculating any tax due?"

That is because TurboTax needs more information. 

Liquidating distributions are not taxable until you have recovered your basis and TurboTax needs your basis for make the calculation.

See https://www.irs.gov/publications/p550#en_US_2017_publink100010095

JulieR
Expert Alumni

This type of distribution may or may not be taxable based on your particular circumstances.  Proceeds from a cash liquidation distribution can be either a non-taxable return of principal or a taxable distribution, depending upon whether or not the amount is more than the investors' cost basis in the stock. In other words, these distributions are, at least in part, one form of a return of capital. Proceeds from cash liquidation distributions are reported on Form 1099-DIV.

Jal297

Hello, I am confused on how to come up with a cost basis for a privately owned company.

The 1099 cash liquidation distribution is only 400.00 any suggestions how I can tell what

is non taxable vs taxable.  Turbo keeps asking for me to review and add $ in the "total

ordinary divd Box 1a ?  Please advise.. 

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies