turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

dkgaler

I received $25000.00 as a Beneficiary in a Trust at the death of the Trustee. What is my tax approximate liability?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

2 Replies

I received $25000.00 as a Beneficiary in a Trust at the death of the Trustee. What is my tax approximate liability?

"What is my tax approximate liability?"

You should contact the fiduciary (trustee) of the trust and make inquiry.

If you have any tax liability from the distribution, you should be receiving (or have already received) a Schedule K-1 (Form 1041) from the trust, which will contain your share of any items of income, gains, deductions, and/or credits.

Anonymous
Not applicable

the money you received could be corpus (principal of the trust) which would not be taxable - you may or may not receive a k-1 

or

the money could be a distribution of income for which you should receive a k-1 and it will be taxable

or

it could be some of each - again a k--1 but only the income portion would be taxable.

when a trustee dies, their is a successor trustee either under the terms of the trust or state law.   talk to that person because they are the ones responsible for filing the trust's tax returns.  

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies