turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

I receive a pension and social security. I'm 66 I also work part time. For a Traditional IRA, will my deduction for the IRA be reduced because I am receiving a pension?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

I receive a pension and social security. I'm 66 I also work part time. For a Traditional IRA, will my deduction for the IRA be reduced because I am receiving a pension?

Your IRA contribution will be limited by the income from the part-time job and may be limited to overall income limitations on the return.

Having a pension is added to your income but the fact that is a pension does not limit the IRA contribution.

Best thing to do, is to enter a Pension contribution in TurboTax and it will first see if it is allowable, and then show the tax benefit.  It can be contributed for the 2017 tax year, up to April 17, 2018.

Please see below more detail. 

https://ttlc.intuit.com/replies/3301534

View solution in original post

1 Reply

Your IRA contribution will be limited by the income from the part-time job and may be limited to overall income limitations on the return.

Having a pension is added to your income but the fact that is a pension does not limit the IRA contribution.

Best thing to do, is to enter a Pension contribution in TurboTax and it will first see if it is allowable, and then show the tax benefit.  It can be contributed for the 2017 tax year, up to April 17, 2018.

Please see below more detail. 

https://ttlc.intuit.com/replies/3301534

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies