turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

I receive a CSA 1099R. On it, there is a Box 7. (Distribution Code(s)) where it says "2 - NONDISABILITY".TurboTax wants info for a box 7a AND a box 7b. What do I do?

Is it necessary for me to make entries for TurboTax's Box 7a AND Box 7b. Since my form CSA 1099R only has a Box 7 - not divided into a and b - what do I enter and where do I enter it? 

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
DanielV01
Expert Alumni

I receive a CSA 1099R. On it, there is a Box 7. (Distribution Code(s)) where it says "2 - NONDISABILITY".TurboTax wants info for a box 7a AND a box 7b. What do I do?

Leave 7b blank.  Some reporting agencies put a qualifying explanation with a second code in box 7b when box 7(a) code is 2.  This is because a box 2 code is that you don't have a penalty for the early distribution, but that box doesn't say why.  Box 7b does give the explanation with a code.  But it is not required for the issuing agency to put this information.  Thus, if you do not have a box 7b, leave that box blank on the TurboTax screen.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

View solution in original post

14 Replies
DanielV01
Expert Alumni

Leave 7b blank.  Some reporting agencies put a qualifying explanation with a second code in box 7b when box 7(a) code is 2.  This is because a box 2 code is that you don't have a penalty for the early distribution, but that box doesn't say why.  Box 7b does give the explanation with a code.  But it is not required for the issuing agency to put this information.  Thus, if you do not have a box 7b, leave that box blank on the TurboTax screen.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
bobruyle
Returning Member

Referring back to this question: you still did not answer what goes in box 7a when the code given is 2-NONDISABILITY and turbo tax gives an automatic entry of 2-EARLY DISTRIBUTION (Except Roth) no known exception... do I go ahead and use Turbo Taxes 2-EARLY DISTRIBUTION or do I enter some other number that is more relevant since these two do not seem to match (in my opinion)
Ghcates

Does anybody have an answer to this question??

@Ghcates wrote:

Does anybody have an answer to this question??

It was answered correctly.  You only enter a 2 in box 7a and leave box 7b blank (empty)

Ghcates

My form has 7-Nondisability in Box 7a on CSA Form 1099-R, but there is no selection for that when filling out the Turbo Tax online form. What selection do I choose as there is nothing that shows Non-disability.

Ghcates

But selection 2 says "Early Distribution (Except Roth IRA) Is that the same thing as Non-Disability??

@Ghcates wrote:

My form has 7-Nondisability in Box 7a on CSA Form 1099-R, but there is no selection for that when filling out the Turbo Tax online form. What selection do I choose as there is nothing that shows Non-disability.

Nondisablity is just written on the form to by the agency providing the 1099-R. 

There is no code on a 1099-R for nondisabiltiy. 

You only enter the code in box 7a as is shown on your form.   If the code is a 7 with the words Nondisabilty enter a 7 in box 7a.  If the code is a 2 with the words Nondisabilty enter a 2 in box 7a.

My form CSA 1099R Box 7 has NONDISABILITY LISTED, BUT YOUR OPTIONS TO FILL IT DO NOT LIST THAT OPTION.

This is not appropriate/applicable to mu question!

There is not a code for nondisability because that code does not exist.

Is there a number shown to the left of the words NONDISABILITY?

But Turbotax kicks a blank out, and will not let me proceed. I did not have this problem in past years. Who can fix this problem?

This is also the same impass/problem that I have.

@PAULANDJOYMOBLEYD0 wrote:

This is also the same impass/problem that I have.

Again -

There is not a code for nondisability because that code does not exist.

Is there a number shown to the left of the words NONDISABILITY?

dmertz
Level 15

There is a code (1, 2 or 7) that precedes the word NONDISIBILITY.  That's the code you are to select in TurboTax.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies