turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

drkarsmi

I put back the money I had taken out of IRA (per the CARES act). I received a 1099-R for the money I put back. How do I show that this money was put back?

I put back 100% of the RMD before the deadline.
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

4 Replies

I put back the money I had taken out of IRA (per the CARES act). I received a 1099-R for the money I put back. How do I show that this money was put back?

After you complete the Form 1099-R there are a series of questions.  Answer No to the question that this was an RMD and on the question what you did with the distribution select you returned it to another or the same account.

drkarsmi

I answered no and it did not give me the option of rollover.  To make it more complicated I had taxes withheld (both state and federal).  Somehow I need to get that money back

PattiF
Expert Alumni

It depends, did the 1099-R show the amount that was withdrawn in Box 1, and a $0 in Box 2a? If you return the money within sixty days of withdrawal, the form should show that with a $0 in Box 2a. If this is not what the form shows, you will need to get a corrected 1099-R. 

The federal and state taxes that were withheld will be in Box 4 for the federal and Box 14 for the state. Those figures will be entered with your form and added to your total tax withheld. Any excess after the taxes are completed will be refunded to you.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

The IRS has a new Form 8915-E for COVID-19 related retirement account withdrawals.  This form has not been finalized by the IRS for filing with a 2020 federal tax return.  The IRS has not announced when this form will be available.  Once available it will be included in the TurboTax software.

We estimate the form may be available sometime in February.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies