klappenb

I over contributed to my 401k, but added the amount as "other income". TT will not let me efile. There is no error here, but I still cannot efile. Why not?

Rachel_W

You have taken the right steps to include the amount of the excess deferral on your 2018 Tax Return.

Unfortunately, there is currently an e-filing issue within TurboTax related to excess contributions so you will need to mail in your return.  You can check out this TurboTax FAQ for more information: Excess 401(k) Contribution Preventing E-filing

Just announced:  An update is currently planned for April 12th, 2019 to resolve this issue. You may still see a warning of excess contribution, but you should be able to e-file.

[Edited 04.10.2019 |1:30PM]

Rachel_W

@klappenb See edited announcement,