Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Event: Ask the Experts about your refund > RSVP NOW!
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

I need to withdrawal my IRA. I need to know how much federal and state income tax to withhold. i live in NJ and I dont believe i will make more then 40k this year

im well younger then retirement age but i am not contributing to it right now and receiving fines. in 2020 i made 67k if that is needed to know. just dont want to have any future problems
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

3 Replies

I need to withdrawal my IRA. I need to know how much federal and state income tax to withhold. i live in NJ and I dont believe i will make more then 40k this year

as a new jersey resident under 59 1/2 you will have to withhold, or pay Estimated Tax of, 30% minimum.

That's what it costs you to invade your IRA in a year other than 2020.

Jeez 30%?!?! I only have $1300 in it and they keep charging me fees which is why I’m trying to withdrawal it. Almost pointless after 30% state and I believe 22% and another 10% penalty 

AnnetteB6
Employee Tax Expert

Instead of withdrawing the money and paying taxes on an early distribution, you should consider finding a different financial custodian for your IRA that will not charge any custodial fees.  Then, you can do a direct rollover to the new custodian without incurring any tax implications.  Try checking into an online brokerage account to learn about their fees for IRA accounts.  

@brettdotcom14

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies