turbotax icon
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

New Member

I need some advice on how to file in several different states from the past 3 years

This feature is pending. Thanks for your patience.
Didn't get the answer you wanted? Talk to a live expert to get the help you need.
3 Replies

I need some advice on how to file in several different states from the past 3 years

Provide more information.   Did you live in those states?  Work in them? Do you need to file non-resident returns for any of them?   Part - year returns?    Did you file federal returns for those years using TurboTax?


If you did not use TurboTax for your federal returns, you will not be able to use TT for those state returns. But you can get the state forms from the states' websites and prepare them by hand to mail in.   You will need information from your federal returns for those years.





If you prepared federal returns for those tax years using TurboTax then you can go back as far as 2019 and use the CD/download software to prepare state returns to mail in.  Each one has to be mailed in its own envelope.




**Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to offer the most correct information possible. The poster disclaims any legal responsibility for the accuracy of the information that is contained in this post.**

I need some advice on how to file in several different states from the past 3 years

what states? what were the circumstances in each state and in what years? which state did you work in each year and which state did you live in each year.  did you work in one state and live in another state? 


please post more detail 


I need some advice on how to file in several different states from the past 3 years

You may need to see a professional.  I believe that in general, Turbotax can only prepare 3 (or maybe 5) state tax returns for one federal return.  If you have income in several states in the same year, you may need professional assistance.  (If you mean you just moved a lot, and have income from 1 or 2 states per year but they are different states, that's easier.)


If you didn't file for 3 years and expect a refund, it should be paid as long as you file within 3 years of the original deadline, and you generally won't be assessed late fees.  But if you owe taxes in any state, you will probably owe penalties and interest.  If the amounts are large, a professional may be able to help you negotiate a lower penalty. 


In general, you must file a state tax return for the state where your permanent residence is located that reports and pays tax on all your world-wide income.  If you earn money in other states as a non-resident, you usually file a non-resident for those states to pay tax on income earned in those states, and your home state will give you a full or partial credit toward the tax you pay in other states.  As I said, I believe Turbotax can only prepare a limited number of non-resident returns to go along with your home state return, so you may want professional assistance. 

*Answers are correct to the best of my ability at the time of posting but do not constitute legal or tax advice.*
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
message box icon

Ready to start your taxes?

Hand off your taxes, get expert help, or do it yourself.

See Pricing
Manage cookies