turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

I moved to Japan last year. I want to report my income as "other income" in Form 8938, but I don't have any "Form" of the US style. What should be filled in for the Line?

What information should be filled in the "Form and line" and "Schedule and line"?
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

2 Replies
DaveF1006
Expert Alumni

I moved to Japan last year. I want to report my income as "other income" in Form 8938, but I don't have any "Form" of the US style. What should be filled in for the Line?

It depends. in order for you to properly report your income inn Turbo Tax, do the following. If in Turbo Tax online. 

• Click on Federal 
  • Click on Wages and Income  
  • Click on I'll choose what I work on (if shown)
  • Scroll down to Less Common Income
  • On Foreign Earned Income and Exclusion, click on the start or update button
  • Once reported, this income will appear as other income on Schedule 1, line 9 and transferred to line 8 of your 1040.

In regards to your 8938, here are specific IRS requirements for reporting an 8938. This is not a form for reporting income but is designed to report specified foreign financial assets such a financial accounts, stocks and securities, interest in foreign entities, or other information. Please read the instructions for more information on how to report the 8938 if you are required to file.. You can access the 8938 online by selecting the search bar with magnifying glass and type 8938. When you perform this step., select the link that says jump to 8938. Don't use this form to report your japan income though.  That is done by performing the steps I outlined above.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

Thanks very much! This is much helpful!

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies