turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

jwcox45

I mistakenly added to my IRA instead of my cash management account and now Turbotax is taxing the distribution plus a penalty. How do I show this was an error?

What other paperwork or form do I need to include to show this isn't really a distribution, but the correction of an error?
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

6 Replies

I mistakenly added to my IRA instead of my cash management account and now Turbotax is taxing the distribution plus a penalty. How do I show this was an error?

What code is in box 7 on your 1099-R?   What is in box 2a?

**Disclaimer: This post is for discussion purposes only and is NOT tax advice. The author takes no responsibility for the accuracy of any information in this post.**
jwcox45

Box 7 has 81, Box 2a has $0.00

Delete the 1099-R and re-enter.

A code 81 with  a 0 box 2a is not taxable at all.

**Disclaimer: This post is for discussion purposes only and is NOT tax advice. The author takes no responsibility for the accuracy of any information in this post.**
jwcox45

Thanks for your answer. That's interesting as TurboTax is telling me that it is taxing the distribution and assessing a penalty. 

Exactly where do you see that?

The 1040 form line 4b should be zero.

jwcox45

The message after I entered the information about the distribution. TurboTax says I cannot deduct the contribution.  

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies