turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

qxbsc

I made contribution ($5500 after-tax money) to my traditional IRA account. How to get tax deductible, need to file 8606 form ?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
AmyT

I made contribution ($5500 after-tax money) to my traditional IRA account. How to get tax deductible, need to file 8606 form ?

To input IRA contributions:

• Click on Search at the top of your screen
  • Enter "Itemized deductions" in the search box (the IRA deduction is not an itemized deduction, but this will get you to the right place)
  • The first link that comes up should by Jump to itemized deductions - click on this link
  • Scroll down until you come to a box that will allow you Skip to see all tax breaks - click on this
  • Scroll down to Retirement and Investments - click on Show more
  • Click on Start next to Traditional and Roth IRA Contributions

TurboTax will generate the necessary forms to file with your return for the deduction.

Hint:  Make sure that your financial institution was aware that the IRA funds you deposited were to be applied to the 2016 tax year.

View solution in original post

1 Reply
AmyT

To input IRA contributions:

• Click on Search at the top of your screen
  • Enter "Itemized deductions" in the search box (the IRA deduction is not an itemized deduction, but this will get you to the right place)
  • The first link that comes up should by Jump to itemized deductions - click on this link
  • Scroll down until you come to a box that will allow you Skip to see all tax breaks - click on this
  • Scroll down to Retirement and Investments - click on Show more
  • Click on Start next to Traditional and Roth IRA Contributions

TurboTax will generate the necessary forms to file with your return for the deduction.

Hint:  Make sure that your financial institution was aware that the IRA funds you deposited were to be applied to the 2016 tax year.
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies