turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

dgsx

I'm the beneficiary on a 401(k), my dad was 76 when he passed and still working for the company. Since this wasn't subject to RMD, will I need to take distributions?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Reply
dmertz
Level 15

I'm the beneficiary on a 401(k), my dad was 76 when he passed and still working for the company. Since this wasn't subject to RMD, will I need to take distributions?

There is no year-of-death RMD because your father died before his Required Beginning Date for RMDs. For years every year after your father's year of death you are subject to beneficiary RMDs based on your life expectancy in the year following the year of death, reduced by 1 for each subsequent year. See IRS Pub 590-B for the Single Life Expectancy table: https://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/p590b.pdf

Be aware that the 401(k) can only be moved to an inherited IRA for the benefit of a non-spouse beneficiary by direct rollover where the distribution is paid directly to the inherited IRA account, not by indirect 60-day rollover of a distribution paid to the non-spouse beneficiary. Any distribution paid to a non-spouse beneficiary is not permitted to be rolled over.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies