auntiem46

I'm single, caring for my mom in my home. In 2017 she had pension of $1,377 & Social Security $13,140. I pay all expenses & food. Do I qualify for Head of Household?

MaryK1

It depends- based on the provided information you would qualify but review the below requirements. Your mother can count as your qualifying person for Head of Household if she also qualifies as your dependent.  To be your dependent, she must meet the following requirements:

• not claimed as a dependent by someone else.
  • U.S. citizen, resident alien, national, or a Canadian or Mexican resident.
  • not filing a joint return with her spouse.
  • lived with you the entire year.
  • made less than $4,050 in 2017 (her social security does not count if it is nontaxable)
  • You provided more than half of their financial support.

$1377 pension per month, or for the entire year?
MaryK1

• lived with you the entire year.