turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

ktjo

I'm retired and run a nonprofit without pay. Should I file as self-employed (tho I don't get paid), or retired (tho I have expenses like someone who's self-employed)?

My only income is retirement pay.  My personal funds used for the business/nonprofit are things like gas/personal vehicle and supplies purchased with personal funds.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

2 Replies
Carl
Level 15

I'm retired and run a nonprofit without pay. Should I file as self-employed (tho I don't get paid), or retired (tho I have expenses like someone who's self-employed)?

A qualified/registered non-profit or charity is required to file it's own physically separate tax return on IRS Form 990.

• Form 990, Return of Organization Exempt from Income Tax.
  • Form 990-EZ, Short Return of Organization Exempt from Income Tax.
  • Form 990-PF, Return of Private Foundation.

Turbotax does not have or support this form. You should seek professional help from a local CPA, EA or tax attorney.

ktjo

We already filed the 990.  I'm talking about my personal taxes. 

• Should I file as self-employed (though I don't have related income to report)?   or
  • Should I file as retired (though I have personal expenses like someone who's self-employed)?
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies