turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

arhk

I'm preparing my 2017 returns. I have 1099 income and expenses. Turbotax appears to be adding the two to calculate net profit. i.e. 10 + -10= 20? What am I missing?

The expenses are for computer equipment to provide the 1099 services.  The expenses were imported from Intuit Self Employed and only show up in the two year comparison window.  In that window it does display a negative dollar amount.  That amount does not show up under the main expenses section.  

As an example, for $3000 of 1099 income and $2000 in expenses, I would expect to see $1000 net profit.  Instead I'm seeing $5000 net profit.  

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
arhk

I'm preparing my 2017 returns. I have 1099 income and expenses. Turbotax appears to be adding the two to calculate net profit. i.e. 10 + -10= 20? What am I missing?

I resolved this on the phone with Intuit support.  It appears as though expenses imported from Intuit Self Employed are brought in as negative values and the calculation is therefore Income - -Expenses resulting in addition to the net income.  Deleting the form and inputting the expenses manually worked as expected, appears to just be an export/import issue between the two products.

View solution in original post

1 Reply
arhk

I resolved this on the phone with Intuit support.  It appears as though expenses imported from Intuit Self Employed are brought in as negative values and the calculation is therefore Income - -Expenses resulting in addition to the net income.  Deleting the form and inputting the expenses manually worked as expected, appears to just be an export/import issue between the two products.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies