I'm doing taxes for my father, who passed away, and I have no idea what the start date was for his retirement annuity. How do I answer this?

Can you look at 2017 return?

I assume there is no amount in box 2a of the 1099R correct?

See if you can access the 2017 return and save with all worksheets as a pdf and then it will have this on it, if he used TurboTax in prior years.

Sorry for your loss.

I haven't found any previous tax year's returns and he actually received an RRB-1099 (blue copy) and RRB 1099-R (green copies) so I don't even know which of those to use to file and neither have a box 2a

OK those go in the Social Security area of TurboTax.  I'll post an answer below as you will not enter anything then in the 1099R area so delete that.